BlueCruise Adds Hands-Free Lane Changing, Tech to Make Road-Sharing Easy with Bigger Vehicles on Key 2023 Models
- Three new features coming to next-gen Ford BlueCruise 1.2 – starting this fall with the 2023 Mustang Mach-E – as well as Lincoln ActiveGlide 1.2 – including hands-free lane changing for easier passing, in-lane repositioning to more confidently share roadways with larger vehicles and predictive speed assist to smoothly reduce speed entering tight curves
- Ford has built an in-house team dedicated to constantly improving BlueCruise – adding features and enhancing its Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS) with experiences that offer a more human-like driving feel
- More than 75,000 Ford and Lincoln owners have enrolled in BlueCruise and ActiveGlide, with more than 16 million hands-free driving miles accumulated through the end of August
DEARBORN, MICH., Sept. 8 – Ford Motor Company continues making hands-free driving even better by launching BlueCruise 1.2* and Lincoln ActiveGlide 1.2 with new features – including hands-free lane changing – and system updates to create more of a human-like driving feel.
The available new system starts arriving on vehicles from the factory this fall – beginning with the Ford Mustang Mach-E.
“We are investing in our ADAS team to constantly improve BlueCruise and ActiveGlide for our customers,” said Doug Field, Chief EV & Digital Systems Officer, Ford Model e. “The latest improvements allow customers to command lane changes using just a turn signal, and make hands-free driving feel more human-like by smoothly slowing down for turns, and giving more room to large vehicles in neighboring lanes. These improvements are just the beginning of a constant journey toward improving safety and, in the future, giving customers valuable time back.”
Available BlueCruise 1.2 and ActiveGlide 1.2 include three new features:
- Lane Change Assist can help drivers move through traffic on the freeway with more confidence while using BlueCruise. The system will perform a hands-free lane change when requested by the driver tapping the turn signal, and it can even suggest if a lane change would be beneficial when following slow-moving traffic.
- Predictive Speed Assist automatically and smoothly adjusts the speed as drivers approach a sharp curve and will help signal the driver ahead of time when a speed change is about to occur, so they understand why the vehicle is slowing.
- In-Lane Repositioning makes the hands-free highway driving experience feel more natural, keeping the vehicle in its lane while subtly shifting the vehicle’s position away from vehicles in adjacent lanes – especially helpful when next to bigger vehicles such as semis.
Ford engineers also are dedicated to improving its ADAS to deliver more human-like driving performance, in addition to refining visuals, sensing and steering experiences. They’ve also been continually improving maps with over-the-air updates identifying prequalified sections of divided highways where BlueCruise can be used – currently spanning more than 130,000 miles.
Once a pre-qualified road is identified, BlueCruise-equipped vehicles sense and help confirm lane lines are visible, the driver has his or her eyes on the road and other conditions appropriate before transitioning to hands-free driving. BlueCruise uses animated cluster transitions featuring text and blue lighting cues to communicate that the feature is in hands-free mode, effective even for those with color blindness.
Collectively, 75,000 Ford and Lincoln owners enrolled in BlueCruise and ActiveGlide, with more than 16 million hands-free driving miles accumulated through the end of August.
# # #
*Available feature. Includes a three-year connected service plan with regular map updates after which purchase is required. Requires FordPass® App [Lincoln Way® App] and modem activation. ADAS features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment and need to control the vehicle. Ford BlueCruise [Lincoln ActiveGlide™] is a hands-free highway driving feature. Only remove hands from the steering wheel when in a Hands-Free Blue Zone. Always watch the road and be prepared to resume control of the vehicle. It does not replace safe driving. See Owner’s Manual for details and limitations.
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-E® Select and 2023 Lincoln Navigator® Standard includes a 90-day trial with the option to purchase a three-year connected service plan with regular map updates. Requires FordPass App [Lincoln Way App] and modem activation.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan, that is committed to helping build a better world, where every person is free to move and pursue their dreams. The company’s Ford+ plan for growth and value creation combines existing strengths, new capabilities and always-on relationships with customers to enrich experiences for and deepen the loyalty of those customers. Ford develops and delivers innovative, must-have Ford trucks, sport utility vehicles, commercial vans and cars and Lincoln luxury vehicles, as well as connected services. Additionally, Ford is establishing leadership positions in mobility solutions, including self-driving technology, and provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. Ford employs about 182,000 people worldwide. More information about the company, its products and Ford Credit is available at corporate.ford.com.
SOURCE: Ford Motor Company